Make a professional and long-lasting statement with a custom monument sign! What is a monument sign? A monument sign is an outdoor, long-term sign that is usually placed at an entrance of a development, community, business, or public area. A monument sign not only informs the public of your brand and business name, but also solidifies your brand image. Read more about tips for success on monument signs here.
Best Materials for Monument Signs
Wood, brick, stone masonry, concrete, natural rock, metal, and high-density foam are all great options for the structural part of a monument sign. From there, try to mix up the materials and use contrasting colors and textures for the sign text. This ensures that the text on your monument sign will be highly visible and readable to traffic.
Illuminated Monument Signs
When you’re thinking about getting a monument sign, it’s important to consider how the sign will look in the day and at night. Spotlights are perfect for illuminating a monument sign that does not have any internal electrical components. However, the most effective way to ensure optimal nighttime visibility is with LED lights. Back-lit or front-lit channel letters look great on a monument sign in the day and at night.
Electronic Message Centers (EMCs)
For an even more effective way to reach your customers consider featuring an electronic message center (EMC) on your monument sign. An EMC is a programmable electronic sign that can store and display text messages and images. They can be monochrome to display simple messages or full color to really impress your audience! Most modern message centers are fabricated with LED lights so you can be assured that your message shines at night and in any type of weather.
Multi-tenant Monument Signs
One of the cool things about monument signs is the many uses they can provide for your business. If you rent out retail space to different businesses and need your monument sign to inform the public of your multiple tenants, then consider having changeable tenant panels on your monument sign.
Your Monument Sign is a Part of Your Brand
Signage is the one of the first ways that a business can “introduce” itself to the public and first impressions are very important! There are endless choices to make when it comes to deciding what the signs should look like and where they’re located. One type of commercial signage that makes a big impact is monument signs. Monument signs are intended to be long-lasting and complimentary of existing architecture. Sometimes an architect will plan out the monument sign design while they’re creating the building plan to keep everything consistent within the aesthetic of the architecture.
Monument Signs Inform, Direct, and Impress
Monument signs generally identify a business, development, or property. These signs are purely functional, but there’s lots of interesting features to add to a monument sign to help it stand out better among competition as well as to provide optimal visibility at night. Illuminated channel letters and dimensional logos ensure that your brand will be seen at night while cars drive by. Another interesting feature available for monument signs is an electric message center to communicate daily specials or show the local weather temperature. Monument signs are usually intended to be permanent structures, so they’re constructed from high-quality materials such as stone, concrete, high-density foam, or metal.
When illuminated at night, they’re like a 24/7/365 sales person who is working around the clock.
There are many distinguishing benefits to utilizing a monument sign for a business. Monument signs are highly visible to commuters and foot traffic. When illuminated at night, they’re like a 24/7/365 sales person who is working around the clock. Monuments signs can also be made to feature more than one business when used for a business park that might have multiple tenants. When a monument sign is constructed with high-quality materials, it communicates to customers that this business is established and here to stay.
One tip for getting a monument sign project started would be to start the process early. A monument sign can take a long time to come to fruition. There’s lots of steps to follow and local ordinance rules to comply to as well. Once you have a monument sign installed, take advantage of it! Take pictures or selfies with the monument sign in the background and share them on social media and encourage customers to do the same. Keep your monument sign clean and well-maintained and you can look forward to years of useful advertising!
A Building sign can be complicated! An effective sign is one that attracts customers and represents your brand in the best way possible. However, a building sign is a big investment. You don’t want to mess a step up because it could cost you thousands of dollars. Here’s some tips we have learned from our experience in sign design, manufacturing, and installation:
- Get the design right – When it comes to signage, sometimes you must work with a smaller area than what you were originally hoping for. Usually, these are under circumstances that are uncontrollable. Before you get too frustrated with the constraints, know that there are ways to get around these problems. With a little creativity and flexibility, even a small sign can be very visible from a distance! Keep the design simple with bold, block letters and contrasting colors. Intricate logos with fancy script lettering and beautifully shaded shapes or photographic elements look awesome on a website or business card. However, for an outdoor building sign that needs to, first and foremost, tell your customers who you are and what you do, a complicated logo might not be effective. But, don’t think you have to scrap your logo entirely! Even established corporations modify their logos for certain medias to increase visibility.
- Use contrasting colors – This is one of the things that can make or break a building sign. It doesn’t matter how large the letters are, if the colors of your sign do not contrast with each other, then you will not have an effective sign. The best color combination is white text on a black background. But, that doesn’t mean that a sign should be black and white. Just stick to the main idea of having lighter-colored letters on a darker-colored background. The same goes for reversing this scheme, you can have an effective sign with darker letters on a light background. Just make sure the colors are contrasting enough so that you can read them from far away or traveling at high speeds.
- Obtain approval from the city – Large structural buildings take a lot of time and planning. For construction to go as smoothly as possible, it’s important that you work within certain building codes and permitting procedures. These can be frustrating, but it’s important to be respectful of the local government and to uphold safety standards. Some city sign codes prohibit certain types of signs or have strict size requirements. Working with a knowledgeable and trusted sign company ensures that the permitting process will go as smooth as possible. How do you find one of those? Well, you’re reading a blog from one of the best in the business!
- Make sure the installation is done right – Building signs are often quite large and complex. When you have illuminated channel letters, for example, there are many parts that must be handled in a special way. You might be surprised to find out how many issues arise when you try to save some money and install your sign by yourself. The liability of having a sign improperly installed is daunting. Again, working with a company that has experienced installers ensures that your building signs will be installed correctly and will last for years.
- Take care of your sign – A building sign is like an employee that works for you all the time. From the sweltering hot Summer days to the freezing cold Winter nights, it is telling your customers about your business! Obviously, a building sign is not a human being. But, pay attention to the maintenance that your building sign needs. Illuminated signs like channel letters and cabinet signs will need bulbs changed from time to time. Trim overgrown foliage around your sign to ensure that nothing impedes your message. If something breaks or is aging too much, get it replaced as soon as possible. Keep up on appearances, because some customers will relate how your building looks to how you conduct business.
Baessler Homes is an established and successful property developer located in Greeley, Colorado. They have been building high-quality homes in the Northern Colorado area since 1968. Building a house or any large permanent structure is an important job that needs to be taken very seriously and these guys are one of the best! Baessler Homes contacted us to print some of their homebuilder signs not too long ago. Our flatbed printer was perfect for these flat and simple signs that also needed to be completed quickly as well as in high quantities.
The order process is easy! We receive files through email or a file sharing site that allows large files to be sent to us, and our team of designers ensure that the design is correct by sending a design proof that specifies all the important information. Once the design is final, the files are sent to the flatbed printer! This machine is extremely useful. If we were to print the designs on digitally printable vinyl (like vehicle wraps), we would also have to laminate them and then lay the vinyl on the panel. There’s more steps than that, but with the flatbed printer we’re able to cut the sign panel down to size, and hit “print”, and that’s it! For local companies like Baessler Homes, we offer delivery as well.
Rigid signs can come in a variety of materials because sometimes you need a sign to be temporary, but still be able to withstand the elements. Metal signs usually come in aluminum so that they’re not too heavy. Corrugated plastic signs are made from coroplast and are easy to carry for easy transportation. Sometimes vinyl banners are the best signage choice for builders because they’re easily attached to perimeter fencing. To allow for airflow, mesh banners are the best choice for fence banner signage. If you’re ready to place your order for homebuilder signs, give us a call or fill out this form and get your signs ordered today!
Monument signs are great for extra visibility if your business is hard to see from the road. You might not realize how many monument signs you see on a daily basis, but they are everywhere! Business parks and shopping centers use monument signs with built in removable panels to provide signage for the various businesses located within the building. Monument signs are perfect for school campuses, churches, small businesses and neighborhoods.
Since these signs are free-standing and permanent, they are manufactured with sturdy and long-lasting materials. Dimensional letters are normally installed on monument signs but sometimes letters are engraved into the face of the sign. LED message centers are usually integrated within monument signs as well. Message centers are a great way to communicate specials or event announcements directly to the public. As great as these signs are, they require specific and detailed planning. Permits, proofs, mockups and zoning are usually necessary in the process.
Here is a recent monument sign we manufactured for a local business in Windsor, Colorado. This sign already had a concrete foundation and a nice face. The previous business had its logo engraved directly to the panels, so to achieve the design we sanded down the sides and repainted the face. Exterior-grade acrylic letters were then installed on the sign. Spotlights on the ground help light the sign for high-visibility at night.
Choosing Connecting Signs to help create a monument sign for your organization or business ensures that you will be helped through the whole process. There are many materials, colors, finishes, and designs to choose from. We can also guide you through the legal limitations of outdoor signage to ensure that your sign is acceptable within your city or county. Give us a call or request a quote and one of our sign specialists will contact you to get the process started!
A sign’s job is simple. It tells customers or the general public who you are, what you do, where you are, and how to contact you. A sign is functional and completely necessary in terms of establishing an identity or brand. A sign’s job is never-ending. Workers clock out at 5, but a sign works 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Since a sign is so important, might as well make it attractive and easy to read. And while you will want your sign to stand out and be original, you don’t want to stand out for the wrong reasons. Here are the top 5 sign design mistakes you should avoid.
- Do not use a business card design as your sign. Signs need to be direct in the information that they are providing. Using a business card layout for a sign usually crowds the sign and makes it hard to read. When you are driving by businesses at 45 MPH you don’t have time to read their tagline and mission statement. You’re looking for a service and a logo/name. Keep it simple.
- Do not use a refurbished piece of plywood or metal as your sign. Even if you paint and re-finish the piece of plywood, that finish will not last long. Within a year you could find yourself in deep trouble with the upkeep of that sign. Having a permanent sign made out of the right materials will cost more, but is an imperative investment if you want to be taken seriously.
- Do not use a banner as a permanent sign. While a vinyl banner is inexpensive and works well for advertising specials or temporary information, you shouldn’t use it as your permanent sign. If you, as a business owner, want your business to be taken seriously you need to look into investing in a permanent, sturdy sign.
- Do not use light colors on a white background or dark colors on a black background. These designs may look great close-up, but step back and imagine moving past your design in a moving vehicle. The chart at the end of this article is good to use for picking color combinations.
- Keep the whole design of the sign SIMPLE, the design of your sign relays an instant, functional message to the viewer. A graphic design professional that is trained in advertising and effective sign design will get the proper message displayed.
- As budgets allow, show your potential customers how serious you are in your business – Lighted channel letters, an architectural monument sign, exterior dimensional letters mounted to your building – these are all types of signage that show everyone, including your competition, that you are in the business for keeps! Potential customers see the business as a stable and trustworthy establishment that they want to do business with.
Connecting Signs is your trusted partner in Northern Colorado for all signage needs. We specialize in large format printing, vehicle graphics, interior directional sign panels, ADA signs, lobby signs, banners, monument signs, and dimensional letters.
Contact us and we’ll be your trusted partner to get your business the attention it deserves. We truly believe that the only way for us to be successful, is if your business is successful!
New business owners may not think of signs right away, however, getting an effective and attractive sign in place will show everyone that your serious about your business and its success. Even if your business is new to the area or maybe it’s something that you are starting from scratch, having quality signage will get the word out faster than any other advertising means. According to ChamberofCommerce.com, customers are more likely to purchase from a business they’re familiar with. Effective signage can help plant the seed for future sales, remind your audience of your presence, and be a beacon of familiarity when they’re not sure who to turn to.
Some of the primary reasons for business signs in Northern Colorado:
- Signs are less expensive, yet more effective than other forms of advertising.
- Your exterior sign provides the initial handshake to those passing by. It’s your initial introduction to your potential clients.
- Your signs are the only thing in your business that will work harder and longer than any employee you could hire – they will be on the job for you, advertising 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- How your sign looks and the quality of it will be judged by everyone that sees it. Keep that in mind when choosing a business sign company in Northern Colorado.
- Many merchants increase their business measurably just by adding a good sign. Conversely, many have gone out of business because they simply were not identified well, so not enough potential customers knew of their existence. As one sign industry professional put it, “A business without a sign is a sign of no business.”
- We live in a mobile society. According to the United States Census Bureau, 18% of households relocate each year. As your customers move, you need to replace them by attracting new customers
- Never forget to take advantage of vehicle graphics in Fort Collins and northern Colorado. Getting your message “on the road” will increase the impressions of your brand by an exponential factor.
Make sure your business signs are the first “employee” you hire – they will be your silent salesperson for your business, always working!
Please give us a call or click here to request a quote today – our number one mission is to make your business successful through top quality, professional-looking business signs.
Most people don’t realize sign companies even exist until they need a banner for an event, or they open their own business and come to the realization that they need their own sign out front to help customers find them. It can be overwhelming since there are so many different types of signs – storefront signs, window vinyl lettering, monument signs, electronic messaging centers, LED signs, dimensional letters, vehicle graphics, lobby signs, wayfinding signs,… the list goes on and on! It doesn’t have to be so complicated – once you know (or think you know) the type of sign you need, it narrows down the choices to help you find a sign company in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Denver, or Cheyenne.
Look at existing signs
Look around Fort Collins to see what types of signs work best. Be sure to check out as many of your competitors as possible. Nothing is more disheartening than to spend your time and money on what you thought was the perfect sign than to drive by your competitor’s shop and wish you had done something differently.
Search Online for Sign Companies
The internet is a great resource to find information on the different types of signs: how they’re made, images of effective signage, etc. It also will give you a good idea of which sign companies in Fort Collins specialize in the different types of signs.
Ask for a Consultation and Site Survey
Interview the prospective sign companies to get their ideas on the best type of signage for your business and location. If a sign company doesn’t have time to discuss and consult with you, maybe they aren’t the right match for your project.
Look for local Sign Professionals
There are many national sign companies, but you may want to look for a company in your region in order to get the service and solution that meets your specific, local needs. Ask them about their experience in the area and look at their portfolio of signs. A sign company with local experience should have an idea of what kind of signage works best for that market and be able to help you make choices.
Ask About All Services
Another factor to consider in a Fort Collins sign company is the services they offer. Do you need a new look? A new logo? If so, find a sign company that offers graphic design, logo creation assistance, and other imaging services. Sign companies can also provide installation, maintenance, and repair.
Be Clear About Your Sign Budget
Price is always a factor in any purchase and you will probably compare prices, but do not let price alone be the factor for your sign. Each sign is a custom creation, so find a sign company that will explain the materials and fabrication methods in the signage they are bidding on. A sign is an investment that works for you 24/7 and should last for a long time (if needed). It is better to pay a little more for quality materials and design than to end up with a sign that doesn’t command attention and represents your logo and brand to its fullest.
Get References and Read Reviews
Ask the sign company to show you completed projects and get references. Follow up on them and you should be well on your way to finding a sign company in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, or Cheyenne that you will be happy with.
Keep in mind that every good sign company fully understands that your business’s success is the number one priority for them… you succeed, they succeed!