A Building sign can be complicated! An effective sign is one that attracts customers and represents your brand in the best way possible. However, a building sign is a big investment. You don’t want to mess a step up because it could cost you thousands of dollars. Here’s some tips we have learned from our experience in sign design, manufacturing, and installation:
- Get the design right – When it comes to signage, sometimes you must work with a smaller area than what you were originally hoping for. Usually, these are under circumstances that are uncontrollable. Before you get too frustrated with the constraints, know that there are ways to get around these problems. With a little creativity and flexibility, even a small sign can be very visible from a distance! Keep the design simple with bold, block letters and contrasting colors. Intricate logos with fancy script lettering and beautifully shaded shapes or photographic elements look awesome on a website or business card. However, for an outdoor building sign that needs to, first and foremost, tell your customers who you are and what you do, a complicated logo might not be effective. But, don’t think you have to scrap your logo entirely! Even established corporations modify their logos for certain medias to increase visibility.
- Use contrasting colors – This is one of the things that can make or break a building sign. It doesn’t matter how large the letters are, if the colors of your sign do not contrast with each other, then you will not have an effective sign. The best color combination is white text on a black background. But, that doesn’t mean that a sign should be black and white. Just stick to the main idea of having lighter-colored letters on a darker-colored background. The same goes for reversing this scheme, you can have an effective sign with darker letters on a light background. Just make sure the colors are contrasting enough so that you can read them from far away or traveling at high speeds.
- Obtain approval from the city – Large structural buildings take a lot of time and planning. For construction to go as smoothly as possible, it’s important that you work within certain building codes and permitting procedures. These can be frustrating, but it’s important to be respectful of the local government and to uphold safety standards. Some city sign codes prohibit certain types of signs or have strict size requirements. Working with a knowledgeable and trusted sign company ensures that the permitting process will go as smooth as possible. How do you find one of those? Well, you’re reading a blog from one of the best in the business!
- Make sure the installation is done right – Building signs are often quite large and complex. When you have illuminated channel letters, for example, there are many parts that must be handled in a special way. You might be surprised to find out how many issues arise when you try to save some money and install your sign by yourself. The liability of having a sign improperly installed is daunting. Again, working with a company that has experienced installers ensures that your building signs will be installed correctly and will last for years.
- Take care of your sign – A building sign is like an employee that works for you all the time. From the sweltering hot Summer days to the freezing cold Winter nights, it is telling your customers about your business! Obviously, a building sign is not a human being. But, pay attention to the maintenance that your building sign needs. Illuminated signs like channel letters and cabinet signs will need bulbs changed from time to time. Trim overgrown foliage around your sign to ensure that nothing impedes your message. If something breaks or is aging too much, get it replaced as soon as possible. Keep up on appearances, because some customers will relate how your building looks to how you conduct business.
Effective signage means many things. The message being displayed needs to be clear, readable, informative, and distinguishable from competing messages. These messages can be letters, words, logos, images or even moving images. A functional sign works because it identifies you or your business and it communicates to the public who you are and what you do. Outdoor signs are (maybe) the most important kinds of signs. Businesses that rely on walk-in customers need outdoor signs on their building that work in the daytime and at night. In most cases, outdoor signs are permanent. Channel box signs (or cabinet signs) are popular and work well, but channel (or dimensional) letters provide the most impact. They are versatile and showcase brand identities the best. The most popular kind of channel letters are frontlit channel letters.
Frontlit channel letters are illuminated and dimensional. There are many different options for colors and font styles. There are four parts to a frontlit channel letter: the back, the return (or the side), the face of the letter and the trimcap. The return is the side of the dimensional letter and comes in an array of standard colors, but can also be painted a custom color. The face of the letter is made from exterior-grade translucent acrylic. The face can be white or colored acrylic or custom-printed translucent vinyl can be applied to the letter and trimmed. Anything can be printed on the translucent vinyl, so the possibilities are endless! A trimcap connects the return of the letter to the face and comes in many standard colors, but can also be painted any color. The last part of a frontlit channel letter sign is the illumination. LED lights are the most common and the most energy efficient.
Again, these signs work best if you think about what they will look like in the daytime and what they will look like at night. Here’s a great example of an effective frontlit channel letter sign. Ander’s Auto Glass is a great Northern Colorado company that recently opened a new location in Fort Collins right along the main interstate highway. They needed a BIG sign that was readable from the highway. We were really excited to help them with their sign and they are very happy with the finished product!
An effective storefront is one that utilizes many kinds of signage. These business signs (indoor signs and outdoor signs) engage customers and attracts new customers. It is so important to appeal to your customers and meet their needs. You will also want to stand out among your competition. There are many things that you must consider when mapping out your signage structure. Here’s an example of effective storefront signs for your business.
If your business is being built from the ground up, you will want to inform the public of what is happening as well as information about when you’re opening. You can also take this opportunity to inform your potential customers about the services you offer. Vinyl banners or mesh fence banners are useful in this instance because they are made to be temporary and cost-effective.
Outdoor Building Signs
Next up, you will want to get permanent building signs mapped out and planned. This includes the design and attaining the required permits from the town or city offices. Monument signs provide great visibility from the road. If you’re located in a business park, your property management company should already have a monument sign by a nearby road that has multiple tenant panels. For your building sign, it’s a good idea to consider investing in dimensional letters. Backlit dimensional letters or an internally lit channel box are great options.
Window Graphics & Indoor Signs
The following signs are also very important to your business. Window graphics, in the form of cut vinyl, applied to the front door are great opportunities to inform your customers of your business hours as well as a helpful identifier of your location. This is especially true if you share a space with other businesses. Indoor signs, like lobby signs or wall graphics are also effective tools to enforce your brand. Menu boards are also a form of indoor signage that we can design and manufacture. If you’ve ever been out to eat, you know how important a well-designed menu is!
Vehicle Wraps & Vehicle Graphics
Finally, if you want to reach out to your customer base even further, you should seriously consider getting graphics on your company vehicle. Vehicle graphics, box truck graphics and trailer graphics are always very customized; no two projects are the same! With digitally printed graphics you can have your full color logo printed or you can choose from a variety of colors and finishes in ready-to-cut cut vinyl. Vehicle graphics stand out as one of the best methods for advertising. A full wrap may be pricey, but the return on that investment is one that you cannot pass up!
Business owners face many tough decisions, and deciding to relocate their business is never taken lightly.
Channel Letters are a great method to advertise your business both inside and out. According to many sources, channel letters are the number one choice of brand identification on building storefronts. They give your customers a positive impression of your business, one that tells everyone you’re serious about your brand, company, and business!
A sign’s job is simple. It tells customers or the general public who you are, what you do, where you are, and how to contact you. A sign is functional and completely necessary in terms of establishing an identity or brand. A sign’s job is never-ending. Workers clock out at 5, but a sign works 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.